Thursday, August 13, 2009

Day 1 is coming....

I finished summer school and summer institute. I had 6 weeks inside a classroom co-teaching and also 6 weeks of summer institute where I was taught by a kick-ass master. I walked away excited for the upcoming school year and with a whole "toolkit" to take to my own classroom. I was ready!
Fast forward 2 weeks.....

I am all on my own-no direction from a single individual and I am sitting at my kitchen counter wondering where the hell to begin. I will be teaching 4 subjects starting August 31st-history, science, english and math. I think I will have anywhere from 15-20 students who I cannot wait to meet! But where shall I begin?

Today I made a big trip to Office Depot and spent entirely way too much money on supplies that are totally needed in my classroom. I then proceeded to Barnes and Noble where I bought 15 books as the start to my class library. I am also proud to say I received my first donation of 15 books bringing me to 30.

I have planned out every bulletin board but have no idea what my classroom looks like and have not worked on actually creating those beautiful bulletin boards.

I have a basic idea of what the first week will look like, but have not done ANY lesson plans.

I have no CLUE what my unit plans will look like for math and english depending on the diagnostic results of my students AND the IEPS for them, which I have yet to see. I do know the science and history standards and thus need to start those unit plans for the first semester.

Overwhelmed? YES!
Nervous? YES!
Excited? YES!

All I keep going back to is my students faces at 8:10 am on August 31st when they walk into my classroom...what will they be thinking in the first 2 minutes where I will be judged and it will be hard to change those 1st opinions?

Here's to my 1st year teaching...and every single day that I have the opportunity and privilege to teach the leaders of tomorrow. I want them to change the world. We NEED them to change the world, but I hope they change me. I hope they teach me.

I can't wait to get started!

No comments: