We set the tone for the classroom. My students watch me not only for how I manage the classroom, but how I manage my life. I think for my students this is especially important because they don't have an abundance of positive role models in their life.
If I complain about how tired I am because I stayed up late (watching TV, hanging out with friends, grading papers), I am modeling for my students that a good night’s rest is not important.
When I complain about other teachers, I am modeling for my students that I am not a team player. I am not looking for the good in my colleagues.
If I gossip about others, then I am teaching my students it is okay to spread stories about others.
When I complain about needing more time, then I am showing my students how to make excuses.
If I avoid learning new things by whining about how hard it is or that I don’t have enough time, then I am showing my students that they don’t need to try hard either.
I choose how to spend my time. If I’m tired, angry, or unhappy, then it is my own fault. I can’t change others but I can change myself. If I have run out of time to do something, it is because I chose not to use my time more wisely or I over committed myself. Again, it was a decision that I had to make and I can’t blame it on anyone else but myself.
I need to make a list of things that are important to me and prioritize them. I need to make absolutely sure that these things are done.
At times I forget just how much of an influence I can have on my students. If I don't start class on time, I am sending a message. If I pull my cell phone out during class, I send a message. If I am impatient, I send a message. Every minute of every day I am on the spot. And every minute counts with my students.In other news, it is so interesting to teach in an urban, high need school. Yesterday was Teacher Appreciation Day and my friends who work in middle to high class areas received gift cards, appreciation cards and were so excited about it. I can tell you that I have yet to receive a card for anything yet alone Teacher Appreciation Day. And I am not complaining. It just reminds me of the VAST differences between higher and lower income areas.
1 comment:
I know you are doing a tremendous job. It's a thankless job at times, I know, but you are truly making an impact. I'm so proud of you!
Post a Comment