Sunday, January 9, 2011

A letter not to forget...

So on Friday I received a letter from a student that further reminds me why I teach in Oakland. This young lady is only in my math class, but I support her in her other gen. ed classes. This is her 1st year at our school so I am still getting to know her.

In math, she tends to struggle with the concepts but has always tried. She is one who wrote me a Christmas card, who gives me random hugs and who is respectful 90% of the time. She is also supposed to graduate in June. The last week she has acted very strange in my class. It was clear something was wrong, but she didn't want to talk about it and she also didn't want anything to do with math. During the week she ignored me, disrespected me and did everything except what she was supposed to be doing. So, I asked her to stay after class on Friday.

I just told her that she can always talk to me, if I am doing something wrong to please tell me, that I care about her and her grade in math, and we need to make some improvements. I also know she wasn't acting like this in any other class. At the end of Friday, she slid a note under my door. Here are some excerpts from what she said:

"The passing of the student at our school has wounded me. It makes me remember the night my uncle was murdered. I wanted so badly to tell you whats going on, but I didn't want to cry. I have this attitude because I am mad another person is gone.

I hope you understand why I can't say these things to you-it hurts too much (And my first three classes I try my best to not let anybody see my pain. 4th period math is when I can show it because I know nobody will laugh at me or stare at me.

You are a great teacher and I love you because you care so much."

I am proud that I have helped nurture a safe environment for these students to let their "guard" down and I am proud of myself for showing a student that I care. Again, why I choose to teach where I do.

No comments: