Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lost in March...

It has been forever since I last posted and I think I am in the groove that teachers like to call "March". I am awaiting spring break because once that comes the school year is all downhill with CST testing and wrapping up the year.

We are just coasting along---have 15 students on my caseload currently (just got another student this week). I see about 12-13 a day depending on attendance. The students are learning, we are reading, writing and learning division (which NONE of them knew!). Although I would LOVE to have an aide (some for behavior help but mostly for small group instruction), the district has not delivered on their promise that I would have one in December.

I should have 4 students graduating in June which I am SO excited about and really working hard to make sure they transition well into what their next steps are.

I am teaching 2 of my sweethearts who are non-readers how to read. It is easier said than done, that is for sure. But I am giving up my prep period to work with them-they have to learn how to read and I have until June 2012 to help them. At nights you can find me reading, finding activities on how to teach young adults the basics of reading.

Education in California is interesting right now. I think I will be the only teacher not to get a pink slip at my school on Tuesday which is really strange. In Oakland, things are messy and it should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

But, I am proud of myself for the work I am doing. I am becoming a better teacher and changing lives in the process. It is tough, tough work each and everyday and exhausting work. These students are needy, but they are also very capable of success. It is showing them the way, giving them the tools so that they can find that success.

Until another day.....

No comments: