Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Can only be told so many times in 1 day...

I can only be told so many times in one day "I hate you". Today it was just one too many; one of the days where you eventually just give up. I think just about half my class told me at some point today in more ways than one. It has been one of those trying weeks where the student want to push you on everything, call you everything negative and just not appreciate anything you do even when you try so hard.

I think because I am the only teacher who teaches what I do at my school and spend so much time with my students that I tend to feel really isolated in my job. It is hard to talk to other teachers about the issues because they experience something very different on daily basis. I can't talk to them about curriculum because they teacher very different stuff. And sometimes, it just gets to me. It really does...

I know I need to return tomorrow with a fresh face and bright smile and I know that I will but sometimes I just wonder how much longer I can do this. It gets to me---both the students and my specific job.

I have to just keep remembering that these young adults experience things outside of school that I can't even dream about. And no matter if they want to admit it or not, I am a source of calmness and their "rock". Sometimes I just wish they would even give me a small indicator that I make a difference.

No comments: