Well, who would have thought it? I am nearing the end of year three and I have so many emotions, thoughts, disappointments and successes that come to mind. I have 5 kiddos graduating this year and I couldn't be more excited. These are all students I have worked with the majority of my time and I am so excited for them....
Things are changing at my school. This is our last year as we are merging back into 1 comprehensive high school. I think it offers a lot of positives, but I also can't say I am not sad. An era is ending-a community is closing down, a tight-knit family is disbanding....I know the comprehensive high school will be successful, but it is really hard to watch a school live its last days. Students, families, the community and teachers identify with the school and its values which will merge with two other small schools come Fall 2012. I have lived an experience that has been invaluable in developing myself as an educator. I am so thankful I ended up at the school that I did, with the students I did, the staff and the administrators. Each has been so integral in my development and life-long learning both as a person but also an educator. I am a million times better than I was the day I stepped onto campus. I finally found something I am passionate about and determined to contribute to. No matter what happens, I know that kids are leaving school better than they came---that is something I can be proud of. I know I could have done more, pushed harder, demanded more, cried less, dedicated more but I also know I held high expectations for the young people I serve and most met them. The ones they didn't-that is my failure and something I will learn from moving into my future.
I am grateful...I am humbled...I am determined...I am passionate...I have a fire lit in my soul that pushes me daily to continue in the work I am doing...three years and still moving forward, each and everyday.
No comments:
Post a Comment