So a student of mine (one of mine who typically gets in trouble) stayed in my class for lunch and made the past 7 weeks all worth it...He started out by asking me if he was going to be allowed to stay in my class for the rest of his high school career and I wasn't clear on what he was asking me so I tried to clarify. He just said that he wanted to stay in my class and that most of his past teachers didn't want him in the class and were very mean to him and others.
I explained to him that I love having him in class and that I can't just kick a student out....he went on to say the following:
Student: Ms. S., you are cool. You have been to prom (a conversation from earlier in the day), you treat me real fair and nice, and I like being in your class.
Me: Thanks, that means more than you know. I think that I try and be as fair as possible and demand a lot from you, but that we also can have fun too at times. I am glad you like being here.
Student: A lot of my past teachers have been real mean. They end up getting hit by students.
Me: I hope that is not going to happen in my class...
Student: NO WAY Ms. S! I really like you as my teacher and so does everyone else in the class. No one would ever do that to you and I would protect you.
Me: Thanks....
Just when I think I can't handle another day of getting cussed at, argued with and fought with a student comes through. In 7 weeks, I have made a difference in this child's life. My strict classroom behavior and expectations for them have shined through....for a student who I have regularly asked to leave class, I got through to him. I know that him and I will have more bad days in the future, but I don't take it personal....this student has had a whole history of terrible educational experiences. In 7 weeks, I have made progress with him by being consistent, positive and academically engaging.
I may not hear those same sentiments from other students whether or not they think like he does or not....but for one student, he likes coming to my classroom and wants to remain with me for the rest of his high school career. This is why I teach in Oakland....
1 comment:
That's awesome!
Post a Comment