Friday, December 11, 2009

Feelin' real good....

I feel really good about my classroom for the first time in a long time (sometime back in October!)...why you might ask?

We had a really good week together....no fights between students, a couple verbal jabs directed at me but I can handle 'em and we accomplished a lot of learning. And besides that, I received some really positive gestures from my students.

As mentioned in the previous post, the warm reception when I came to class yesterday and then today another student put a permanent smile on my face. In English I have been asking the students to write in their journals in preparation for writing an essay on their life (in the spring). They have been able to write about anything and if they want me to respond, they leave it with me and if not, they put it back on the shelf. Well, one of my girls had written earlier in the week about how tough life was, how unhappy she was, etc, etc. I responded with some positive uplifting words and then today, she wrote me the following:

"Ms. Searing...I know you are my teacher and maybe I shouldn't consider you a friend but when I walk through the classroom door every morning you brighten my day. You always ask how I am, and always listen no matter what I have to say. You make a difference in my life every single day and for that I love you."

Profound words from a 16 year old girl....make me want to go to school on Saturday and make a difference in her life tomorrow!

No comments: