Today I took the opportunity to go and observe other classrooms similar to mine at a neighboring high school-I loved the experience and gained a lot of tools that will help me in the future to become a more successful teacher. I was on my way back to my classroom so I could relieve the lady who was subbing for me and I was nervous...I was not looking forward to 1 period of math because who knows what had happened without me there for the day.
And then I walked in my room...and immediately was greeted by 3 incredible moments that will sustain me for weeks to come.
1) One of my female students at the door expressing how much she had missed me and how glad she was that I was back.
2) A student who shows up to class and gives me a hard time usually but TODAY she came and just gave me a hug.
3) A student who was back for the 1st day post suspension (for cussing me out) coming and giving me a hug and almost refusing to let go. No words were exchanged just a good 'ol hug.
And it is these moments that let me know I have made a difference since August 31st. It is these moments that keep me up at night planning so that I can continue to impact the youth in Oakland.
Those 3 incidents meant more to me than most of the students will EVER know....
No comments:
Post a Comment