Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Happy New Year!

It has been awhile since my last post....I had two weeks off for holiday break and it was incredible! It was SO nice to be away from Oakland and my students-made me excited and appreciative of them. The semester ends next Friday-can you believe that I will be 1/2 way through the year?

My classroom experience has gotten exponentially better! The number of severe behavior issues has gone down A LOT which makes teaching more fun and we get to learn more. My aid is fantastic and is able to connect with a couple of the boys that I am not able to build a relationship with. I am not getting as anxious or nervous in the morning when thinking about what may or may not happen that day.

I finally feel like I can wholeheartedly focus on curriculum and my teaching....and improve! I am starting to reflect on my practices to see what I can improve before the next semester begins and making a lot of notes for the future. I want to become a better teacher, with better strategies and methods and I finally feel that now is the time to commit to that.

Oakland is still Oakland-same ol issues (teachers are voting on a strike tomorrow!), attendance is terrible so I am working on different methods to get my students to school and on time, and an abundance of other things. But, I finally feel like I can focus on teaching my students to read, write, calculate math, and so on. Some of my students are making improvements in their reading and writing...we started journal writing where I respond to what they wrote and ask questions and then they respond back to me. I love it and I really think they like it. I have gotten to know my students in a whole different light....

Anyway, Happy New Year! Here is to a fantastic 4 1/2 months left in the school year!

No comments: