This week marks the end of the 1st semester-wow! We had a different schedule due to finals and so I had my students all day yesterday (8:10-3:10) and all day today (8:10-1:15). It was a challenge and I am pure exhausted after that many hours with them. We didn't have too much trouble until today when I got an education in "roasting", a favorite hobby of some of my male students. "Roasting" is back-and-forth banter with another and it can stay PG or it can get really mean. Today, it got really mean....and out of hand. Yet another incident for this young male student who has yet to be able to control his language, gestures, demeanor and just effort in my room. A 17 year old 9th grader who comes to school every single day, is almost reading at grade level but just cannot produce enough work to pass any class even though he is more than capable. I have tried a million different strategies, and techniques and am STILL trying to make it work but after 90 school days with him....I still haven't found a way.
Can't give up on him-just have to keep working....but in the meantime, we will have a parent-student-teacher-administrator meeting before he is allowed back in the classroom :)
No comments:
Post a Comment