I have been M.I.A from this blog which I think may be a sign things are going pretty well...I feel that the more I blog, the more emotion and frustration I have that I need to release. And, although I can't say I am full of emotion and frustration, I have either learned to channel it better or am not trying to internalize that emotion and frustration as much.
My students have stopped coming to class. Yes, my quality students are still there and I LOVE the moments that I get to have them in class, teach them and learn from them. Friday was one of those days that was full of energy, positivism and community. But that is about 50% of my class and the other 50% of class is showing up 3-4 days a week, but sometimes less. Where are they? Is this a reflection of my teaching? Of where we are in the school year? A result of good behavior management and an inability to conform to rules and consequences? Or maybe a combination of all of that.... I have reminded myself to continue praising them, encouraging them and learning from them...but I can't blame myself if they don't show up.
Showing up=succeeding
It is hard to believe that we are almost 2/3 of the way done through the school year. I have learned a lot, grown a lot and reflected a lot. I think that I will do much much more reflecting in the last 1/3 of the school year in order to become better for next year.
I want to give my students the tools to change themselves, their community, and their lives. But, they have to show up and I have to teach them each and every minute. I only have 1/3 of the school year left and we have a lot of work to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment