Friday, March 26, 2010

Brought me to tears today...

Not many things have brought tears to my eyes, but a student did today. He is my infamous "genius" student who has put in minimal effort, has had attendance and behavior issues and who was pretty close to dropping out. And, then his blood father showed up. For the last 3 weeks, his Dad has been there every day ensuring his son is in class and taking care of business. It has been great to see and it has been paying off. His son has been in class, on time and his behavior has been impeccable.

And, today it came full circle. I had taken this student outside to dicuss a comment that he had made in class. And, I asked him how school has been the last couple of weeks. Here is how the conversation went:

S: School has been fun. It has been cool.
Me: Yeah, how have you felt the last 2 weeks?
S: I like being here and being successful. I can tell you I have been proud of myself for the 1st time in a long time.
Me: Have you told anyone that? I bet you can't tell the "brothers" that.
S: Yeah, I have told no one. But, it is a great feeling. I am proud of myself.
Me: I am proud of you. In the last 3 weeks, you have transformed into a student who I am proud to teach. I haven't known you in that capacity; I have known you as a person, but not as a student. I have been proud to teach you and see you grow the last 3 weeks. It is the best feeling in the world to be proud of yourself. Let it continue
S: Thanks Ms. S. I have really had fun the last 2 weeks.

And, I had tears in my eyes. What a great and incredible feeling for this young man! I hope that he can see the benefit of education and keep this feeling alive for the future. Wow! It was an inspiring 4th period.

And, during 1st period English I had the students write on 20 things that they believe in. I had given them some of my examples such as love, education, myself and God...and to read what they came up with---absolutly incredible. It is something that I hope I can get them to elaborate on in the future.

What a great week in the classroom...some students who I had thought I wouldn't see breakthroughs from are really stepping up and providing hope. I am extremely proud of my students and the progress that some of them have been able to make.

4 more days and then spring break. When we return, we have about 10 weeks to learn the most we can for 2009-2010. We gotta hit it hard!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome ! I hope you are proud of yourself makeing a difference !I will keep you in my prayers !

Jill