For everyday that my students have tried and tested me, there has been a moment this year that has touched my heart and inspired hope in my soul. This time of year is when people are receiving pink slips, moving, transferring schools and/or giving up teaching as a profession. The students have been constantly asking if I will be back next year, even those who I never thought cared.
A colleague of mine told me something that sums it up:
The students will love you for it even though they have seemingly done everything in their power to drive you out. If you stay, the love they will show will forever leave an imprint in your heart. The students need you to commit to them, to offer them unconditional love and to see through to their success.
And this is why I will choose to stay and teach in Oakland.
No comments:
Post a Comment