Today was the 1st day back from spring break and although I was a bit anxious and a bit sad that vacation was over, it was REALLY refreshing to see my students this morning. Students who are never on time showed up before the bell rang and it was evident to see that they were excited to be back at school. During journal writing, I saw paragraphs being written about their spring break and they were excited for me to read them. REFRESHING for a change! I had much more patience and enthusiasm in my teaching and energetic about the next 9 weeks....9 weeks to continue pushing, continue changing, and continue educating my students.
A favorite student of mine (one who has come A LONG way from the fall, but still has work to do) had told me 2 weeks ago he might be transferring schools and today his grandma told me she would be moving him to a military charter school in Oakland. I expressed my sadness at this news because he has been able to make a lot of progress since September and the boy has moved schools every single year. I am sad that we worked hard to make progress in the last 9 months, he has found a home in my classroom and has no desire to move schools, but his grandma thinks he needs a man and "more structure". I understand it is her right to move her grandson, but I wish sometimes that we could think about the implications of switching schools every single year. The progress that this student and I have made in his academics and his behavior are INCREDIBLE, but if he moves schools he will have to re-start that progress and that trust that he has been able to build. And, it makes me sad, angry, frustrated for him and his future.
But, alas it is outside my control. I will work with him until June 17th just like every other student in my class. June 17th will be here before I know it and I will have officially completed my 1st year of teaching. What a wild ride it has been with moments of triumph and moments of tragedy. I am sure that will be many more in the next 9 weeks.
In another note, thank you for the outpouring of support, encouragement and love that all my family and friends show me every single day. The gentleman who works with me in the class asked me today what everyone thought of what I was doing in Oakland. I just responded by saying that the number of phone calls, e-mails, cards that I get are WAY MORE than anyone deserves, but that there are times I am not sure I could do without them. This experience has changed my mind and my heart about the inequalities in America especially in education. But, I have vowed to myself to take this experience and these feelings with me every single day in my journey. I will never forget this experience and I cannot wait to add to it!
No comments:
Post a Comment