Thursday, April 22, 2010

Never thought the countdown would come...

38 more school days....wow!

I vowed not to make a countdown but I decided to make a ring of chains in my classroom and post a goal on each chain (which represents 1 day) so that the students continue to be motivated to learn and also know that we still have time to impact their achievement.

Personally, 38 days is do-able. For my lovable, well behaved students I have 38 days to continue being positive, pushing them academically and loving them before they leave for summer. For my less than stellar students, I have only 38 days that they are in my classroom. I have 38 days to continue to impact their philosophy on education and their outlook on school before they will roam the streets and lead the "street life".

I was told by my assistant principal that if I can teach in the part of Oakland that we are in, than I can teach anywhere. If I survived my 1st year with this population that I can survive anywhere. No one may not it until they shadow for the day just how hard the job is, but the people who matter know just how difficult this job is. And I think that although I down play it, it has been the hardest thing I have ever done.

I have been reflecting a lot and taking notes on a lot of things to change and/or implement next year. And until then, I have 38 days....can't believe it!

1 comment:

Christinaq said...

I am so proud of you!