I only have 12 more school days and only 8 with my students as the last week of school we are doing something a bit different.
Wow! I have made it to June and it feels nothing short of amazing. The students are working on projects, class is very laid back and we are bonding. I am taking students to an Oakland Athletics baseball game next week, we are planning a class BBQ where students will each bring something to contribute, and I am planning summer outings with some of my students. It feels great-truly great.
I have had some future teachers observing my classroom the past couple of weeks. One was there today for the first 2 periods of the day and one of my students told her during passing period that I was a "Bomb Ass Teacher". I didn't hear him say it, but she told me later and what a compliment! I am sad to say that same student is transferring to a military high school next year. He has never been in the same school for more than a year and the trend continues. He has been able to make HUGE strides in my classroom and I am extremely proud of him. I am also very sad to think that he won't be back next year and he is going to have to transition yet again to a new place.
I am beginning to pack up my classroom and get organized. Next year, I will be in a different classroom but I am excited about where it will be. It is just a pain to have to move everything, but that is okay. It will force me to re-do my classroom :)
I have been constantly reflecting on my classroom, behavior management, grading and my teaching to try and implement better systems for next year. I am going to document a few of my thoughts in coming weeks and also an end of the year letter to myself.
Lastly, I am forever grateful to this cohort of students who I was able to teach this year. They taught me so much and they will always be my "first students". I have come a long way since August 30th and each of them have taught me something that I will carry into the future. I intend to let each of them just what they have meant to me and leave them each with a gift for summer....
No comments:
Post a Comment