Friday, September 3, 2010

Because sometimes you need someone besides me

What a great 1st week! I feel confident both in my teaching, but in my ability to reach these students. Year 2 just feels so much different and I KNOW I can going to build on these feelings to make it a year. A year in which not only do I reach my students, but we make some SERIOUS academic gains. 175 days left...and I am PUMPED

Something I have known but quickly realized this week is sometimes my students need someone besides me. I can't always get in their heads, or make something make sense or say the right thing. So, I have started taping "weekly talking points" to their desk. This week it was Coach Pete Carroll's WIN FOREVER Philosophy which is something that can directly relate to anyone's life. I think I just found next week's:


There are some KEY phrases in there that I can identify with that I think my students can too.

"Life is Short"
"Some opportunities only come once, seize them"
"If you don't like something, change it"
"This is your life, do what YOU love"

I have some incredible young people in my classroom. Some young (14) and some old (19)...some who can read, and some who cannot. But, the common thread is they showed up the 1st week of school and I hope that I can say that same phrase June 16th...

Here's to year 2 and the growth that I make as a person and as an educator and more importantly, the growth that I help my students to make.

No comments: