Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Parents words....

I was and still am having a major issue with one of my male students. He is truant from school regularly (I probably have seen him 8 or less times in 5 weeks) and when he is there he is high on marijuana, refusing to do any work and/or sleeping. He is 16 and has bounced around to 4 high schools already....

Yesterday, he was out of class and trying to get his bike out of my classroom. I let him know that he needed to return to class and he could get it at the end of school. He then stood in front of my door (all 6'4") and let me know I would not be getting into my room if he couldn't. So, I walked away and called his Mom. Here is what she said:

"Thank you for all the work you have been doing with my son. He is just acting so stupid and quite frankly, he is going to either end up dead or in jail."

I KNOW that he is causing just as many issues at home for her but it was VERY difficult to hear a mother say those things about her son. It reminded me how lucky I am for the family that I was raised in and the support system that I have.

When I see this young man again (he wasn't at school today) I am going to shower him with love and support because I think he needs to hear those words. Maybe it will bring him back to school.....

No comments: