Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Three weeks in...

Three weeks in and reality has set in. The work that must be done is apparent; the relationships that must be developed are pressing; the DIRE need of certain students is showing itself. In addition to serving special education students, I am teaching a CAHSEE (California High School Exit Exam) math class for students who have yet to pass. It is a class filled with mostly seniors who have not yet passed a test based on 7-8th grade standards. It is the highlight of my day :)

I LOVE it! These are students who have ALWAYS felt unsuccessful in school but they are total sweethearts and trying so hard. I feel like I am ABLE to make them feel successful, push them and be their cheerleader. They get five opportunities to pass this year and if they don't, they don't graduate. I feel IMMENSE pressure to have them pass and I am doing everything possible to make sure that happens. First test date is in October-we shall see.

Here is to building relationships, being consistent, and building a class where each student pushes each other so that they can get to that diploma; I dream about a class where 100% pass this CAHSEE math and 100% of my special education students graduate....

Pray for me :)

No comments: