Throughout the last 14 months, I have done a lot of thinking. Deep thinking. Thinking about who I am, the values I hold, what is important and what is not, my future, what I want from the future. I have also had endless time to reflect on the work I am doing in East Oakland with the students I am working with.
Some people tell me that this job is setting me up for the future, setting me up to bigger and better things. But, this job has made me a better person. It has taught me what resiliency is; it has taught me about inequalities that exist all across America, about racism and how it is still playing a part in today's society. I have changed. And I am proud of who I am changing into.
I can't control the future. I don't know what I want to do in the future but I do know that I feel like I am in the right place at the right time for the first time in my life. And for now, it feels good and right and challenging and emotional but good.
So to answer those questions that people ask me daily, I say that I am doing some of the most important work in America with some of the most incredible people by my side. And, the future will fall into place-it always does.
*On another note, my principal paid me a really nice compliment today that just felt good at a time with my students that has been extremely rough the last couple weeks. He said it is his privilege to work alongside a smart, dedicated and hardworking teacher....*
1 comment:
He's telling you what you already know. You are great and do great work:)
Post a Comment