Thursday, December 23, 2010

Community Principles

There is an organization called To Write Love on her Arms that is dedicated to depression, anxiety, self-infliction and ultimately suicide. These are all things that my students and their families encounter on a daily basis. This organization has a set of community principles that I shared with my students as I think they apply no matter the situation.

I hope to come back to these week after week in hopes of continuing to transform the classroom to a community full of love and support for one another.

  • Community is essential, people need other people, we were never meant to do life alone
  • You were created to love and be loved. You were meant to live life in relationship with other people, to know and be known. You need to know that your story is important and that you’re part of a bigger story. You need to know that your life matters.
  • Community and hope would replace secrets and silence
  • The vision is people becoming incredible parents, people breaking cycles, making change.
  • The vision is hope, and hope is real.

No comments: